New Zealand New Zealand +64 9373 2949 Australia Australia +61 2 9211 7130

FBAR - FinCen Form 114

US Global Tax helps American citizens, residents, and various businesses meet their FBAR FinCen 114 filing requirements. Continue reading to learn more about the FBAR, or contact us today for the help you need.

Contact Us

What is an FBAR?

The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, or FBAR, must be filed by any US citizen residing overseas who has a financial interest in or signature authority over any financial accounts with a combined balance that meets or exceeds $10,000 USD at any point in the calendar year.

FBAR refers more specifically to FinCen Form 114, the foreign bank account report filed electronically with the Financial Crime Enforcement Network's BSA E-Filing System (not as part of your standard tax return). If the total sum of your foreign financial accounts exceeds USD $10,000 at any point in the tax year, you must file an FBAR by April 15, although this deadline is automatically extended to October 15 should you fail to file by the due date.

Do you need to file FinCen Form 114?

For example, suppose you had three accounts with New Zealand financial institutions:

  • The maximum value of your checking account during the calendar year was $3,000.
  • The maximum value of your savings account during the year was $4,000
  • The maximum value of your retirement/superannuation account during the year was $8,000

In this case, the combined highest balance (on varying dates) was $15,000, meaning that an FBAR must be filed.

Expert insight makes filing easier

Determining what is and is not a reportable foreign financial account can be tricky. We highly recommend that anybody who needs to file an FBAR obtain professional assistance. The cost of even a simple filing error can be steep, so it's in your best financial interest to have your FinCen Form 114 professionally prepared.

Contact us today

If you need help filing your FinCen 114, call our New Zealand office at +64 9 373 2949, or leave us a message below and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.

Word of mouth
Billboard/Outdoor Advertising
TV Advertising
Google Search

Who needs a to file a US tax return?

  • National Association of Tax Professionals logo
  • IRS Enriched Agent Logo
  • National Association of Enrolled Agents logo
  • Xero Certified Advisor logo