New Zealand New Zealand +64 9373 2949 Australia Australia +61 2 9211 7130

PFICs - US Tax Treatment of NZ & Australian Investments and Superannuation

One of the least understood, but most commonly asked about issues are PFICs - Passive Foreign Investment Companies. These form a complex part of the US tax system, and affect both NZ and Australian based US citizens, usually due to Kiwisaver or Superannuation. In this post, we've created an eas... Read more

Grantor and Non-Grantor Trusts

This issue comes up very frequently, what makes a foreign trust a “Grantor Trust” for US tax purposes. Fortunately, while there is a wealth of information available on the subject (so much that it can actually confuse the matter), there are some simple definitions. A grantor trust, is a trust tha... Read more

The Savings Clause

What is the Savings Clause? Another question that we are frequently asked, is “what is the savings clause?”. While most people are aware that the US has a double taxation treaty (DTA) in place between both Australia and New Zealand, few people are aware that there is a specific clause in each tre... Read more

What is Section 965?

This tax year has seen some tumultuous changes to US tax law, and how it applies to foreign based US citizens. The most alarming of these changes, and the one that we are most frequently asked about, is known as Section 965.   These changes have mainly come about as part of reforms promoted by ... Read more

Kiwisaver & Australian Superannuation

Kiwisaver and Australian Superannuation One of the most frequent questions we are asked, is “How is my Kiwisaver/Superannuation account taxed and reported”. While there are a number of factors which affect the answer to the above question, we can give a brief overview. Firstly, before reading a... Read more

End to OVDP

As we approach the end of the month, one more important date is looming for many US citizens who are deemed “wilful in their failure to file tax returns”, the end of OVDP (Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program). Read more

Who needs a to file a US tax return?

  • National Association of Tax Professionals
  • IRS Enrolled Agent
  • National Associations of Enrolled Agents